- Help increase public and media awareness of this compelling new field of life story telling - in print, audio, and video.
- Advance professionally, whether you're experienced or a novice, whatever your medium. APH is the premier organization of entrepreneurs helping individuals, families, communities, and organizations capture and preserve their memories, images, stories, and history.
- Learn approaches to leading workshops in memoir writing, guided reminiscence and autobiography, ethical wills and legacy letters.
- Participate in the daily dialogue of the members-only Listserv, a supportive venue for asking questions, getting frank advice, exchanging ideas, and floating trial balloons.
- Engage in a similar but more focused dialogue on the members-only Forum.
- Market your business through a listing in APH's public directory.
- Network with your peers, reaching other members through the Members' Directory (helpful for subcontracting and specialty work such as transcription, writing, editing, graphic design, indexing, archive and image management, video production, audio and video editing).
- Purchase specialized "toolkits" on starting a business, interviewing, marketing, and choosing the products and services best suited to you.
- Get the members-only newsletter, full of how-to articles, member profiles, information about techniques, technologies, marketing, and issues that affect personal historians.
- Learn about APH webinars and other events through the members-only e-letter.
- Join the private Q&A about the best equipment, software, books, training, and approaches to life story work.
- Get a discount on APH materials (including the anthology My Words Are Gonna Linger), advertisements, webinars and teleconferences.
- Promote yourself as a member of the Association of Personal Historians.
- Develop a strong professional network, learn more about the business, strengthen your potential for referrals, and find "your people."
- Participate in APH's annual conference, held in a different city each year, at a member's early-bird discount. Network and talk shop with peers, compare differences in approach and format, study colleagues' samples of personal history products you will never see in stores, learn about everything from basic skills to cutting edge technologies.
View the Member Benefits Chart ( pdf) to see which membership option is best for you.